Saturday, June 3, 2023

Owen's New Room!

I am always reevaluating our home and how it functions for our family. I am not afraid to change things around if need be to help it function better. Since Owen is now 16 years old I thought it would be nice for him to have his own separate bedroom rather than sharing with the other two boys. Plus all these boys just keep getting bigger so trying to fit stuff for 3 growing boys into one room was getting a bit difficult. Closets and drawers were busting at the seems. Also I really wanted Owen to have a place to call his own. 


This was what the play/game room looked like prior to the makeover. Of course this is the day we finished remodeling this room from Ella's room into the play/game room back in 2019 so it most definitely didn't look this nice when we started remodeling it for Owen's new room. 



First thing first we decided it was time to remove the chair rail. That required some drywall repair. Owen also picked out the color. It's magnetic gray and I love it. I love it so much I want to paint my room this color, but he does not want anyone copying him! 



A few years ago we replaced all the millwork downstairs and we've been slowly replacing it upstairs as we remodel the rooms. This is the wall where there used to be a door that went into the master bedroom. It was so great when the kids were babies and this room was their nursery. It's now very nice that there is only one door into our master bedroom! There used to be a door on this closet as well, but we have a thing against closet doors so we took it out. 



Michael framed up the closet so it would look finished. He also built this cool peg wall. 



Owen is a minimalist so he doesn't want a lot of stuff on the wall, but he does love his LEGO's and he wanted to be able to display them. We knew we could buy shelves, but Michael likes to make things custom so he decided to design and build Owen some really nice shelves. He's measuring and marking out where they are going to hang using his laser level...best Christmas gift ever! 
 


Shelves are all hung and millwork is in! His new bed is in that box. He had to work that day I was going to put it together. Actually I had planned to get everything set up and in place so that when he came home I could surprise him with his new room. 



I laid out all the pieces to his new bed. I love to build furniture! In fact when my parents moved back in 2008 I got to put together almost all their new furniture since they were still working. It was so much fun! 



Zeke really wanted to help me and at first I was a little bummed. I like to do it all myself, but he was such a great help to me. We messed up one part and had to undo it, but it was no big deal. We just fixed it and moved on. We did need Michael's help with one last part when we had to stand all the sides up and attach them, but other than that it was just me and Zeke working on it. 



Ta Da! 

I got this loft bed off Amazon for only $189. It's now on sale for $159! I love how minimal it was and how it looked manly with the wood accents. This is also the smallest room in the house so a loft bed was a must in order to give Owen the most amount of floor space. 



Here's that same view of the room from the beginning of the post. I love the wood and black together. 



His piano fit perfectly in this corner. I set up all his LEGO's. He did move them around a bit and he also bought a couple stands for his Star War LEGO sets. 



I bought his saucer chair on Amazon as well, but I found this bookshelf in our neighbor for free. The color is almost a perfect match! 



This is probably the coolest part of the room though. How do you store all these silly dart guns?!? The peg board was ingenious! Not only are they out of the way....they look so awesome!!! We also bought these hanging buckets that could hold the extra cartridges. Plus I had an old Compost bucket so we drilled a hole in the side so it would hang up. It holds a ton of darts. 
 


This room has the smallest closet by far, but that's ok because Owen doesn't care about clothes. In fact he gets upset at me sometimes for buying him new clothes. He has a couple shelves in there to store more toys....Jenga Blocks and Angry Birds to be precise. Instead of a hamper I just bought him an extra laundry basket. I figure the super wide opening would maybe just maybe mean he'd actually get his clothes inside of it. 



This dresser we've had for years. I bought a bedroom set from a lady when I worked at Safeco Insurance. This was prior to any kiddos. It's such a nice dresser...it's lined with cedar wood. 



He was so happy with his new room. I was a little bummed because I had told everyone that no one got to see Owen's room until Owen got to see his room. I didn't think I needed to state that I wanted to be the one to show him his room. I mean I was the one that spent most of the day setting it up. Well, I guess I should have said something because Owen got home from work early and someone told him about his room so he went and looked and I didn't get to see his face when we he first saw it. Oh well....he was happy and loved it and that's all that matters really! 



Owen's favorite reading spot! 



It's pretty close to the ceiling, but he's only up there to sleep! 



He loves his gun wall! 



He also loves is piano and it's so nice that this is now out of the other boys room. As for Jack and Zeke's room that one is next on our list. We will most likely be tackling that this fall. 



The only complaint Owen had about his room is that his bed felt a little wiggly and it made him nervous. So Michael being Michael found a couple skateboard wheels and put them between the wall and the bed and then attached the whole bed to the wall. No more wiggly bed!!!

Owen did have a bit of an adjustment time getting used to being in his own room. At first he felt like he had to stay in his room at night during quiet time right before bed, but once we found this out we told him he could still go and play with his brothers during quiet time we just want them to be upstairs. I think that made him feel not so excluded. Not that he does play with them every night...most of the time he doesn't, most of the time he plays the piano (yay for an electric piano with volume control) and reads. 

It's definitely a more grown up room and I think it will serve him well until he moves out one day! 

0 comments: