Monday, September 16, 2013

Jack's First Day Of School!

On Thursday when I registered Jack for school I was shocked that they said he could start the next day. I figured they would just have him on Monday. It was actually great though because he got a taste of school and then had two days off! Of course he got to have all the same first day of school pictures that Owen had just a little more than a week ago.
 
 
Jack in his special shirt I made him....he said, "It looks like a dress!"
 
 
Cute boy that does not like to show his teeth when he smiles!
 
 
1st Day of Kindergarten!
 
 
The big kids...Zeke was still inside eating breakfast!
 
 
All ready to go with his backpack on!
 
 
It was nice that Aunt Stephie & Uncle Ry had bought Jack a backpack a couple years ago for his birthday so I didn't need to buy him a new one!
 
 
The school boys ready to go!
 
 
I wasn't sure how Ella was going to handle both the boys being gone after she had a meltdown when Owen went to school. She actually did really great though and we had a wonderful day together!
 
 
Due to my weekend plans I needed to have the car so that meant Michael had to drive the van to work on Friday. I didn't want Jack to ride the bus to school for his first day so we had to walk all the way to school. We walked Owen on his first day, but drove to the ACE Hardware that's down the rode a bit and walked from there. This time we had to walk the whole way.
 
 
Instead of going through our neighborhood the kids and I walked down the service road out to the main road. Once we got to the main road we saw the kids bus turn to go down to our neighborhood. Shortly after that Owen was literally sitting on the sidewalk saying he couldn't go on! Dramatic much!!! Anyways I started motivating him by saying we needed to try to beat his bus. Once he saw his bus coming down the road he started running and we did end up beating the bus! I looked like a big hot mess for the rest of the day since there was misting rain, it was humid out and I was sweating. It wasn't pretty folks, but it was worth it!
 
 
Jack's classroom is literally right next door to Owen's classroom.
 
 
The morning of his first day Jack and I had a talk about him and his grumpy face. He's really good at making grumpy face. He does it when he's nervous, mad, tired and all of the above. A lot of time it's because he's sizing a person up, or he's not sure what someone is doing. We talked about the kids in his class and his teacher and how they might think he's not friendly if he does grumpy face all the time.
 
 
Here's Jack's teacher Ms. Richardson! I didn't really get a chance to talk to her very much since to them it wasn't the first day and class needed to just get started. That's probably the only thing I'm bummed about with Jack starting later than everyone else. It will be fun to get a chance to chat with her more in the future.
 
 
Once all the kids were in the classroom I peeked in and snapped a picture. Jack is at the table in the back of the class.
 
After this I got to chat with Owen's teacher Ms. McConnell and I just already love her! I could chat with her all day. I'm really looking forward to getting to volunteer in Owen & Jack's classroom!
 
 
On Friday afternoon I was scheduled to leave for a weekend away with my MOPS leadership team at 2pm, but that meant I would miss Jack getting off the bus for the first time and I would get to snuggle him and find out about his first day in person. Anyways that wasn't going to happen so Kim and I just left later and it actually worked out better!
 
 
Owen got off the bus first and the first thing I notice is Jack's not behind him. I thought they would be suction cupped together and that's when for a split second I thought that Jack might not have gotten on the correct bus.
 
 
Thankfully that fear was quickly resolved! Jack jumped off the bus holding his green piece of paper telling me that he stay on green all day long! So proud! He also told me he had homework to do and he liked recess! Oh and he told me he didn't eat his applesauce! It's fun to hear about the things that stick out in his mind.
 
This weekend he did have homework. He had to write his name a total of 8 times, we had to read 5 books to him, he had to draw a picture of his family, a picture of what it's like to read a book and a picture of what happens when the chimes go off in the classroom. It was actually a full week of homework so normally we'd have a whole week to get that done! It's kind of crazy that kindergartner's have homework!
 
I'm so proud of my Jackson and I can't wait to see how he grows, learns and develops over this next year at school!

0 comments: