Saturday, June 13, 2020

Kool-Aid Hair Dye!

Ella has been wanting to dye her hair some shade of pink for a long time. We tried with store bought temporary dyes, but they never work because her hair is so dark. I do not want to bleach her hair though so we were stuck. 

I had heard about dying hair with Kool-Aid a couple summers ago, but wasn't sure I was ready to make that leap yet. I don't know if it's because we've been stuck at home for so long and I just wanted to have something fun that I get to say yes to for my daughter or if it's because her hair has grown out to the point where if we needed to cut the dyed part off it wouldn't be as dramatic, but I decided to go for it on May 3rd. 



My hope was for an ombre look. Every 5 minutes I would add another book thus putting more of her hair into the dye. We used to two different flavors of Kool-Aid....I think it was Black Cherry and Berry Cherry....one was red and one was more purple. Ella was sitting there eating while her hair was soaking. Unfortunately she didn't understand if she looked up more of her hair would go into the dye. Oops. So the whole ombre thing went out the window. 



We were just so excited that her hair took the dye!!! 



It's not super even, but she loves it. The next time we do it I would put her hair in pigtails and not just a ponytail. I think it would definitely have a better chance of being more even that way. Super easy and super fun. It's supposed to wash out, but I honestly doubt that's going to happen. I think it's more likely we'll just have to cut it out as her hair grows. 

0 comments: