Monday, April 11, 2022

Bible Study Seder Dinner!

Our church has Bible Study sessions about 2 or 3 times a year. I have been a Bible Study leader many times. This last session we read through the book The Prophetic Calendar: The Feasts of Israel. I have been very interested in the history of Israel and wanted to know more about the feasts and why they celebrate them. The Israelites are God's chosen people so important for me know as much about them as I can. 

Our Bible Study met at church from 5:30 - 7pm for 8 weeks. We would read a chapter in the book and then discuss that chapter the next Sunday. We also watched some fun videos....Before the Wrath and The Star of Bethlehem. 

When I decided to do this Bible Study I thought it was perfect timing because one of the Feasts of Israel is Passover and Passover was going to happen during the time we were having the Bible Study. I had never done a Seder Dinner before so I reached out to my best friend Kim and asked if she'd help me out. I would never have been able to do this without her. One of the Friday's during choir practice we sat down and went over the whole menu and figured out who was going to do what task. 

Then the Saturday before the dinner Kim came over. We went shopping for last minute items, she made the Charoset, and then I set the table while she read me the Haggadah. We chose not to have the Passover meal on Passover so we had it on Sunday, April 10th at 5pm. 



It worked out perfectly where we had 8 people in attendance. My friend Bertie was unfortunately not able to come because she was dealing with a family emergency. We would have just had two people sit on the end if she had been there. At each persons place setting was the Haggadah. Kim had highlighted everyone's parts so they knew when to read. 

Michael took all the kids over to Kim's house so they had dinner with Micah and their kids. 



Trying to get a selfie of all of us. 




Not the easiest thing....I need longer arms! 



From left to right....Lynette, Cathie, Al, Kim, Scott, Heather and Becci. 

It was an absolute joy to celebrate this feast with these lovely people. To focus on what God did that first Passover all those years ago. To also have that saving knowledge that Jesus Christ became the ultimate Passover lamb for us at Calvary when he was slain for the sins of the world AND that He conquered death and the grave!!! It's all so beautiful!!!



Al & Cathie brought something special with them. Their neighbor is Jewish and she let us borrow her special Seder plate. It was gorgeous and I love how it just happened to be green and go with the tablecloth. We put the lamb bone, parsley and horseradish on it. We did serve wine....it was wine that was specifically for a Seder meal. I think the meal was finished around 8pm. 



Al & Cathie gave me this absolutely stunning card with these two doves and a box of Godiva chocolates. Lynette gave me this Artza box that you can see under the card. It's a box of goodies that are all made by people in Israel. It came with white chocolates, a game, a candle, spices and an oil holder and a small oil lamp. It was the coolest gift and perfect for this occasion. So thoughtful! 

Now I need God to tell me what He'd like me to study this coming fall! 

0 comments: