Friday, April 27, 2007

Cradle Cap a.k.a. Cradle Crap

Owen has cradle cap all around the crown of his head. It even extends down to his eyebrows and then down the sides of his face like sideburns. For those of you that don't know what cradle cap is, it's dried skin that looks like scales. Does anyone know how to get rid of this?? The doctors say it will go away on it's own, but the Internet says use baby oil. We have been trying! I rub baby oil all over his sweet head and then let it sit for 5 minutes or so. Then I take his soft hairbrush and try to exfoliate his skin with it. Then he gets a bath and I wash his hair and let the shampoo sit on his head for a couple of minutes to try to get all of the oil off. That whole day Owen's head looks great, but when he wakes up the next morning there it all is again! Maybe it's a vanity thing or just the fact that I know what it's like to struggle with having bad skin, but I want my son to have beautiful soft baby skin!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lyndsay-
Derek had cradle "Crap". All babies do. His went away on it's own. I would use his little brush when I washed his hair to try and scrub some off. Grammy would get some off just using a fingernail lightly. I never used the baby oil, but it will go away as he gets older.

Erin

Unknown said...

I've been trying a dandruff shampoo to get rid of my cradle cap, but so far the results are mixed.

Jill said...

Alot of babies have it. Don't pick at it to much. It just makes it worse. It doesn't look the best but the more you leave it alone the better it will get. My BF's son had it REALLY bad and her DR told her to use olive oil. Also this other stuff works pretty good to. It's called Aquifur (spell check). Check it out and try it. You can buy it at any drugstore.

Anonymous said...

That explains a lot about Scott... hmmm... ;-)

Nicole