Sunday, October 3, 2010

Safe Babywearing!

Recently babywearing has been in the news and not for good reasons. Sadly there have been infants that have lost their lives due to being worn improperly or in an improperly made sling or pouch. I never considered myself a babywearing advocate like I do a breastfeeding advocate, but since having Ella I most definitely do now! Looking back in my photos for pictures of Michael and I wearing our children I was pretty surprised by the number of photos I actually have. We really do enjoy keeping our children close and safe in our arms. Head on over to Adventures In Babywearing and the BCIA facebook page to see more posts of other babywearers!

Our idea of babywearing has evolved over the years! ;) Sadly I never wore Owen when he was a baby! :(

My first carrier was a Moby wrap. I barely use it at all anymore. It's just a little impractical in WA state with all the rain and the fact that it's HUGE piece of fabric that ends up getting all dirty on the ground while you're trying to wrap it correctly. I used this mainly with Jack when he was a newborn.


With Ella I have used the Baby Bjorn almost everyday. With having two toddlers it's nice to have my hands free, but still keep her close.


We first bought the backpack carrier to go to the fair. It was great! It kept Owen up high enough to see all the animals and kept him from touching anything that was yucky!


Ella all snuggled in! Who wouldn't want to look down and see this face sleeping soundly!



Another picture of Owen at the fair (in the rain) sleeping in the backpack.




Jackson in the Moby out enjoying the snow!



Again...looking down at their cute faces thisclose is pure joy!



Sometimes we've had to think outside the box when we've forgotten the backpack! :)


The most recently picture of Owen at the fair. I think he only gets worn at the fair now...he loves to run! Ella sleeping in the Bjorn at the fair!

I also have a ring sling that my friend let me borrow, but for some reason I just couldn't get it to feel comfortable on my body. I've tried and each time I do Ella gets really upset. She does not like it at all...that's why I've stuck with the Bjorn. That and it's really super comfy for me. I love that it's structured and fast to snap her in and out. I'm in the process of buying an Ergo carrier for her since she's getting bigger and we have to give the Bjorn back to Kim for baby Josiah. The Ergo will be nice since she's getting bigger. I'm definitely NOT ready to stop wearing her anytime soon. I love keeping her close!

4 comments:

Lisa @ Crazy Adventures in Parenting said...

Oh, I hear you about the Moby - I had to master the art of looping it in my arms, or draping it over things to get it on in public. However, for wee ones it was a lifesaver. We're sling, mei tai and Beco users, now.

Love your pictures <3

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Oh love this, such a great idea with your photos telling such a great story! :)

Steph

designHER Momma said...

i hear ya on the Moby. I typically wrap it on my body before we leave the house, that way I just slip baby in when we get to the destination. Seems to work well...

Unknown said...

I'm ashamed to admit it, but when I read that title I thought it said baby swearing. I thought it was going to be a tutorial on safe alternatives to profanity to use around children. I was way off.