Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Half The Fun Is In The Preparation!

When I decided on the kids costumes I had to do some crafting to make them possible. Thankfully my awesome friend Starr had lots of ideas on how to make it work out without spending a bunch of money. 


The first thing I did was take a long sleeve white onesie and cut a slit in the middle and stitched it up. 


Then came the orange dye. I had never used dye before and I was super nervous about it. It is SO easy and so fun....it might be my next crafting obsession! 


From white to orange! 


Here was Zeke's costume all ready!


Then I needed to dye Jack's white dress shirt a worker man blue! 


I was so surprised how fast the dye took and even more surprised that I didn't get dye on anything I didn't want to! 


Once Jack's shirt was dyed and washed I made a Felix patch for his shirt and slip covered our Ikea plush hammer with some yellow felt. It was my first slipcover and it was surprisingly easy to make! 



As for Jack's worker man hat, I used one of Michael's work hats and covered the water district logo with Fix-It Felix's initials. 


I LOVE LOVE how his cute ears bend forward with the hat on. He's such a handsome boy! 


As for Ella's outfit it was so easy! First I asked on FB if anyone had a black pleated skirt and my friend Lane had one. Then I found the turquoise sweater at Value Village for $2.99! When it came to Vanellope's crazy tights I used a pair that were a bit small for her and I drew the stripes on with a sharpie marker. It took about a half and hour and when I was done it had bled threw the tights so Ella had "tattoos" all over her legs! 


To make Ella's hair look like Vanellope's I used a red pipe cleaner to look like a piece of red licorice and then I hot glued a bunch of foam cut outs to bobby pins to look like candy pieces. On Halloween I have a can of black hair spray to make her hair really look like Vanellope's. 

I had so much fun making the kids costumes! 

0 comments: