Thursday, April 30, 2009

Show Us Where You Live Friday



Kelly over at Kelly's Korner is hosting a Kitchen Edition of Show Us Where You Live Friday.
My kitchen is what I call a two butt kitchen. It's not very big, but I like it. This is the eat in area. I love my bistro table. We got this the first year we were married...it was out on our deck at our first apartment. This picture was taken awhile ago. The only thing that's really changed is the ironing board isn't there anymore it's out on the porch now.


We got our kitchen cabinets from Lowes. I love dark wood. I found the island online at Target and my friend gave me her old pot rack. I've always wanted a kitchen with a pot rack.


Like I said these pictures are old so there is a bunch of stuff on the counters now that wasn't there then....like canisters, mail, a knife block. I just noticed my red Sharps container on the counter so these pictures must have been taken when I was going through IVF.


When we bought the house we knew we were going to redo the kitchen. It was absolutely disgusting. The kitchen used to be shaped like a big L, we decided to redesign it so it's more like a J now.

The old kitchen had this awful old wallpaper and the cabinets were lined with indoor/outdoor carpet. There was NO WAY I was going to put my dishes in them. We also ended bring all our appliances from the condo.


The only thing we salvaged was the flooring. Michael took it up and put it in the full bathroom upstairs. The door with the shelves is my pantry under the stairs. I don't know what I would do with out it since I'm a huge fan of Costco.

I scraped wallpaper off for hours. There is where the original doorway was into the dining room.


It just made more sense to move the doorway and since Michael is so handy he did just that.



Here is what my kitchen looked like for 3 weeks after we moved in. We were using paper or plastic everything and eating out a lot. I was so happy to have a home cooked meal.

Thanks for visiting my kitchen!

8 comments:

Melody said...

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!
How awful was it to remove the wallpaper? Most of our house is wallpaper. The guy that did our inspection told us that is a whole lot of work to remove wall paper. He suggested just sheet rocking over it. I also read that you can just seal the wall paper and texture and paint right over it. I think that's what we're leaning towards. Any thoughts?

Pam Bowers said...

I love before and after pics. Thanks for thinking to include them. Cute kitchen.

Ashley said...

Thank you for opening up your home!
-Ash-

Mandy said...

Your kitchen is so cute! I love your pot rack. I have always wanted one but don't have the "perfect" kitchen for it right now! I was just stopping over from Kelly's blog and happened to notice on the side of your blog that your first born and my first born were born on the same day! Jan 15th, 2007!! I have two little guys too! My second was just born on March 27th. Also, my maiden name was Martin! Crazy how much I realized we have in common by just stopping by!

Kelley said...

Your kitchen is beautiful!

Ashley said...

I love your cabinet color! Everything looks great. Thanks for letting us look!

www.lifeofashleylancastter.blogspot.com

Michelle said...

You guys did a great job renovating! Your kitchen is so warm and inviting, I love the pot rack. Your boys are precious :)

The Williams' said...

Love the pot rack! Thanks for sharing!