Monday, April 27, 2009

What's for dinner?

I know that I personal have gotten myself into a rut when it comes to cooking dinner. Thankfully I have a husband who loves to try new things and experiment with food. This got me thinking that other people who read my blog might be going through the same thing...so I thought it might be fun to share recipes every once in a while in order to expand our horizons when it comes to food. That and it's always fun to share a favorite recipe with others. So with that said I would like to share this recipe for Chicken Fricassee. It's found on page 398 of the Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book. Michael just made it tonight for the first time and it was definitely a restaurant worthy dinner. It only took about an hour for him to make it from start to finish and I'm sure now that he's made it once it won't take as much time to make it the second time around.

Chicken Fricassee Ingredients:

1/4 cup of flour

1 tsp paprika (Michael used twice this amount)

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

3 chicken breasts

1 tbsp oil

1 cup of halves fresh mushrooms (we didn't have fresh so we used canned)

1/3 cup chopped green or red peppers (we used yellow peppers)

1/3 cup sliced green onions (we used white onion)

1 cup chicken broth

1/4 tsp dried basil (we used thyme)

1/4 cup milk

1 tbsp of flour

Cooking Directions:

1. In a plastic or paper bag combine 1/4 cup of flour, paprika, salt and pepper and set aside.

2. Rinse chicken and pat dry. Add chicken to bag and shake to coat.

3. In a 12 inch skillet cook chicken in hot oil over medium heat about 10 mins or till lightly browned, turning to brown evenly (add more oil if necessary). Remove chicken and set aside, Drain fat, reserving 2 tbsp of the drippings in skillet.

4. Add mushrooms, sweet peppers and onions to skillet. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in chicken broth and basil (or thyme). Bringing to a boil, scraping up browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Return chicken to the skillet. Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 35 - 40 minutes. (Michael had to add more water, but I think it's because he was boiling it a little too fast so boil it on a really low temperature). Once chicken is no longer pink transfer chicken and veggies to a serving platter.

5. Skim fat from pan juices, measure 1/4 cup of the pan juices and return to the skillet. Stir milk into the 1 tbsp flour, stir into pan juices. Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 min more.

6. Spoon some of the sauce over chicken and serve.

Now it's your turn...first share one of your favorite recipes on your blog and then come back and use Mr. Linky to link that post to my blog that way everyone can enjoy your recipe as well. If you don't have a blog feel free to leave your favorite recipe in the comment section instead. Happy Cooking!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

As a bachelor, I'm more or less limited to foods that I can microwave, barbeque, or poor hot water on. That being said, I will share the culinary delight that I made myself for dinner a mere couple nights ago, I'm not actually sure when come to think of it. I call it the pepperoni quesadilla.

For this you will need:

1 frying pan

1 tortilla

1 fistful of shredded cheese

1 fistful of pepperoni

Put the pan on the stove, oh yes, this will also require 1 stove, and heat it to medium. Put the (soft) tortilla in the pan. Put the cheese on the tortilla, put the pepperoni on the cheese. Fold the whole thing in half and then grill until the cheese is melted and the tortilla is crisp enough not to be too floppy. Let cool for 3 minutes then slice into more easily handleable (is that a real word or did I just make it up?) size. I slice it into thirds with a pizza cutter. The whole process takes less than 10 minutes and you have a delicious, healthy (according to me) snack!