Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Disneyland Preparation!

 I don't think I've announced it on the blog yet, but we are taking the kids to Disneyland! I'm so excited!!! It's something that we've been contemplating for a while now. We wanted to take them when Michael was unemployed, but that would have been foolish. So after doing some planning we are ready to take the kids. I know that Zeke is little and he won't remember any of this trip, but I don't want the older kids to miss out...especially when they are still in that mindset of make believe and wonder. 

We are leaving at the end of the September and we have decided to drive. Not only because the thought of flying with 4 kids again gives me heart palpitations, but as the Harley Davidson saying goes...it's the journey not the destination. There are so many wonderful things to be seen on the way to Disneyland. We have plans to go to the Redwoods, the Golden Gate Bridge, drive down the coast of California and then on the way home we are going to visit Mount St Helen's. 

Since we are driving I am doing a ton of research to find on how to make a road trip a happier time with kids. The first suggestion was drug them...hahaha! I doubt we'll go that route, but I have found a ton of great ideas and I'm sure we'll be doing many of them. One being boxes for each of the kids with activities for them and also snack boxes. I'm also going to make a visual for the kids so they can see how far we've traveled and how far we have to go. And the DVD play in our van will be coming in handy. Since I have 7 months until we leave I have plenty of time to get things ready. 

Another thing we are trying to do is not spend a fortune. I know Disney and money go hand in hand right! We are giving each of the kids $50 to spend when we are there. They are going to get to look and find just the right toy that they want and then we will purchase it on the last day on the way out of the park. That's it! My parents are coming with us so that's another story, but we aren't going to spend a fortune on Disney trinkets. That being said I do want our kids to feel like they got the whole Disney experience so that's where my crafty/thrifty ways come in handy.  

My first task was to make Autograph books for the kids... 

 

 I found these nice little notebooks at Target for $1.99 each. I had previously downloaded the WaltGraph font for free so all I needed to do was create a cover used my My Memories Digital Scrapbook program.


 I trimmed the paper out and then used my favorite new craft item...spray adhesive to adhere the paper to the notebooks. 
 


I love how they are personalized! That font is so cool!!! 
 

On the back...a little personal touch! 
 

See how Ella's is Minnie Mouse! So cute!!! 
 

Then for a little added protection I Mod Podged them so they would be waterproof and the paper would have another level of protection from peeling up on the edges. In this picture the Mod Podge isn't dry yet. It does dry clear though. They turned out great!!! 

I also scored some terrific finds at the Dollar Tree! I got Ella some princess bubbles, the boys some Disney drawing kits, and each of the kids some of those compressed washcloths with Disney characters on them and I even found Mickey Pens for them to use with their Autograph books. Like I said I want the kids to have the Disney experience just without spending a fortune. I have a few other craft projects up my sleeve and I'm eager to get started on them! Stay tuned!!!

2 comments:

Furry Bottoms said...

That IS cute... the autograph books! And I can picture Jack going wild with joy at the toys and characters. Jack seems to be more Disney oriented than the other kids, but I know they all will have a lot of fun

Melody said...

Oh what fun!!! The planning and anticipating is so much of the fun!