Sunday, May 21, 2017

Homemade Dried Basil!

For one of my MOPS crafts this year we made Mason Jar Herb Gardens. 


The ladies got to plant from seeds, but I wanted them to see what it would look like with a full grown plant so I bought a plant for me instead. This is my basil plant after I already cut it! 



Look at all those leaves....it's one healthy plant! I got to thinking there has to be a way I can dry it so it doesn't go to waste. I ended up findings instructions for making dried basil on Pinterest of course. 



First you take a microwave safe plate...the instructions said a glass plate, but I don't have a glass plate....lay down a paper towel and then a single layer of basil leaves. 



Top it with another towel. 



Microwave for 1 minute and then 15 second intervals. The lady said it only took hers 1 minute 45 seconds, but mine took more like 3 minutes. I'm not sure if that was because I didn't use a glass plate or if it was because I had a Ziploc bag over my plant acting like a green house so the leaves had just retained moisture. Who knows! 



Here's after a minute! 



Getting more dry!



Almost done! 



Once they were complete dry I put them in a bowl and crushed them with my hands. 



Then I tossed them in with my other dried basil. The difference in color was amazing. The dried stuff from the store is almost grayish brown, but the fresh stuff I made was such a beautiful shade of green. Super fun and easy! 

0 comments: