Thursday, May 29, 2014

Ella's Curtains!

This project is months if not a year in the making. When I bought Ella's new comforter on Craigslist it didn't come with curtains so I went to Joann's and found this fabric. I was sure I could sew a simple valance. Yeah it wasn't so simple since the fabric was kind of see through once you put it up to the light so that meant I would need to make a lining for it. I also wanted to make sure that not only did it have a pocket for the curtain rod to go through, but I wanted a little bit of fabric above the curtain rod to give it the same look as the store bought ones. I tried to pin it and figure it out without a pattern, but then I just got totally frustrated so I tucked the fabric away and forgot out it. Then I went to the fabric store with my Mom and I was reminded about it. So I ended up fishing it out and was determined to finish what I started. It ended up not being that rough at all. I was able to sew two valances in under 2 hours. I think the difference between now and back then is the fact that I've just been sewing more and my confidence and understanding of sewing has just grew over the months. I was really pleased with how they turned out and it's nice to be able to show the kids that even when you struggle you can walk away, come back and then try again!

Oh and don't mind the blanket hanging in the window...that is our ghetto version of a room darkening shade!