Friday, March 29, 2013

Inside Out Caramel Apples!

Logan's Mom Jen saw this online and thought it would be fun for me to do with the kids so she bought the ingredients and brought it over last Thursday.


After cutting the first apple and realizing it wasn't going to be finished super fast I decided to sprinkle lemon juice so the apples wouldn't all turn brown.


Jack was my cute little candy unwrapperer! Surprisingly he didn't eat one while unwrapping them!
 

I looked online to find out how to melt caramel properly so I follow the directions I found. First I melted a tbsp of unsalted butter on low heat. 
 

Then we added the caramels 3 at a time. This is where it got interesting. The caramel doesn't melt like you'd think it would. It more clumps together and gets mailable.


I scooped the caramel into the apples and then put them into the frig so the caramel would cool. Now I'm not sure if it was me putting them in the frig or if I didn't melt them right, but the caramel was super hard. I wanted to cut the apples into slices, but there was no way that was going to happen. Each of the kids just got a half an apple. It was also funny because the caramel was hard on the top and in the middle where it touched the apple it was almost liquid. Weird! All in all it tasted good though!

0 comments: