Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Homemade!

I've been wanting to try Kale Chips for a while now and I finally got to. I had bought some kale to use in a soup recipe, but I didn't use all the kale and there was NO WAY I was going to let it go to waste. One small bunch of kale is $2.49! 


First step was to remove the stems and cut or tear the kale into chip size pieces. 


Then I put a little olive oil, Parmesan cheese and the kale into a Ziploc bag and shook it around. 


After adding the flavor I spread them on a cooking sheet and put some more Parmesan cheese on top. 

Then came the cooking part...the part that didn't go so well! 
 

You know that saying, "Your noses...knows!" Well I should have listened to my nose. About 10 minutes before the chips were supposed to be done they smelled SO GOOD. I wanted to eat them right then, but I wanted to follow the recipe since this was my first time making them. Well they got a little burnt. The above picture is after I stirred them around and we had eaten a few. Then do shrink a lot though! The ones that weren't that burnt were really yummy! I'm definitely going to buy some seeds and plant kale in the garden this year. 
 

We also recently made homemade chocolate syrup. We had almost used up our Hershey's syrup, but since we are trying to eat better I wanted to make this so it wouldn't have any HFCS in it. All it took was some unsweetened cocoa powder, sugar, water and vanilla. It's definitely runnier than Hershey's, but the kids LOVE it. A little goes a long way too and it tastes richer...sorry Hershey's but were never going back!

0 comments: