Sunday, April 7, 2013

The Choices We Make - Medicine!

Lately I've been kind of irked with how medical stuff is handled lately. I'm not talking about Obamacare although that's awful! I'm talking about how doctors are so quick to just write you a prescription for some chemical when there might be something more natural out there that might first off be cheaper and second better for you and third work just as well if not better. 

For example...Michael had struggled for years with a flaky scalp. He has tried every dandruff or dry scalp shampoo around. He's rubbed olive and baby oil on his head. He's been to two different dermatologist. The first one was an older gentleman who quite frankly had one foot out the door for retirement. He recommended this prescription shampoo and said Michael had psoriasis. The Rx shampoo did nothing. Since at the time Michael didn't have very good insurance nor did he have the time to take off to go back he didn't. Recently Michael's been to another dermatologist twice and the first time he recommended this Rx for this medicine that was literally over a $1000! Insurance covered more than half and then thankfully the doctor had a coupon for up to $500. Isn't that ridiculous! It seemed to help for a little bit, but it didn't work or solve the problem. So back to the doctor Michael went. This time he gave him a sample of another medicine. Frankly I don't think Michael even used it because it had all these rules on how to use it and Michael wasn't sure how he was going to get it on his head without totally shaving it! Michael's been getting really fed up with this condition so he started researching and found that some natural remedies the first being Apple Cider Vinegar. We didn't have any of that so Michael just went straight to the second option which was Witch Hazel. After the first time Michael used it his flakes were gone. He still has to use it everyday, but it keeps it under control. It's actually done something which is more than any of those expense chemicals did. I mean Witch Hazel...it's natural and a whole bottle costs about $3.99 at Bartell's! Back in the day doctor...heck your grandma would have known these simple natural remedies. 

My friend Lori is now selling essential oils and I'm curious about them and can't wait to find out more. I know there are oils out there that can cure common things that we normal would just run to the drug store for and I want to be more educated about them. 

Also I wonder how many of our ailments are more related to my previous post about food. What we put in our body can effect how we feel and our health. I have lots of friends that are cutting out gluten and they are feeling fabulous because of it. How many times would people go to the doctor complaining of stomach issues or fatigue and then the doctors would recommend some medicine which doesn't deal with the cause of the issue. The problem is doctors don't have time to deal with or get to know their patients. It's so frustrating going to the doctor knowing you only have a measly 15 minutes! 

One another medical related note that I'm sure is going to make a bunch of people upset...lets talk birth control. Remember we can have differing opinions! First off let me set the stage...I'm pro-life. I believe that life starts at conception and each life is precious and should be cherished. When I was younger before we wanted kids I took birth control thinking it was okay. But now that I'm older and have done more research I do not believe you can be pro-life and take birth control pills. See birth control pills keep you from getting pregnant by doing these things....keeping you from ovulating and making your uterus lining unable to accept a fertilized egg. I'm sure that each of us knows at least one person that's become pregnant while taking birth control. The pills do not stop a woman from ovulated every month that's why they HAVE to have that back up measure of making the uterus unable to accept an egg. So if you believe that life begins at conception taking birth control pills means you could be actually taking a pill that lets you abort your conceived baby since it won't have the chance to attach to the uterus. Also IUD's do the same thing. The church doesn't say they don't agree with birth control, but in my opinion they should. If you truly believe that life starts at conception the only methods of birth control that are acceptable should be condoms, abstinence at certain times of the month or sterilization. I know for me taking birth control pills was just the normal. I never thought twice about it. It was just what you did when you didn't want to have kids yet. It was more about not fully understanding the medicine behind the pill. For us Michael is going to have a vasectomy and then I'm going to take birth control pills mainly because they make me feel better by helping my hormones and they help clear up my face. But since he'll be sterile there won't be anyway that we'll conceive a baby. 

There is a Naturopathy office in Federal Way that I'm going to contact them and see if they accept insurance. I'm really not happy with the kids pediatrician especially in regards to Zeke's neck and his rash. We've tried so many things and nothing is working. I'm on the second topical cream prescribed by the doctor and it's not getting better. I'm hoping that we can figure out the answer soon! 

I'm not saying all medicine is bad! I'm saying that I think a lot of the time doctors are just masking the symptoms and not actually dealing with the real issue. 

So what are your opinions on modern medicine? Birth Control? Essential Oils?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't agree with your stance on bc. I am prolife an take birth control. Being prolife means once you are pregnant starting at conception you keep the baby. Thats my opinion. If stating that being on bc isn't prolife then condoms should not be used either right?

Unknown said...

I don't agree with your stance on bc. I am prolife an take birth control. Being prolife means once you are pregnant starting at conception you keep the baby. Thats my opinion. If stating that being on bc isn't prolife then condoms should not be used either right?

flo :) said...

Oh, I'm sooooooo with you on all of this! We should get together and chat. :)

Furry Bottoms said...

I think both medicine and essential oils or other homeopathic things have merit. You're right though, Drs don't like spending more than 15 mins with a patient and that IS annoying. Just not fair. But I don't think ALL Drs like it that way, but have to because of rules they have to live by. Insurance rules them for the most part.

I take BC... and it has nothing to do with pregnancy. It has to do with my hormonal migraines. It is supposed to lessen them or stop them from coming. If I could find something more natural that actually worked, I would go off BC. But so far everything I've ever tried homeopathic for migraines have never worked.