Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Lowest Tide In 11 Years!

On the morning of Wednesday, June 15th, Michael texted me and told me that it was going to be the lowest tide in 11 years and I should take the kids down to the beach. I took them down to Des Moines Beach Park. It's our favorite place because the kids love to turn over the rocks and find the crabs. I timed it so we would be there during the lowest point of the tide. 


We had just walked onto the beach. 



There was this fun tidepool area where the kids had fun looking at all the creatures. Once you stopped moving and stood still it was amazing at how many things were moving around! 



Instead of looking for crabs right away we decided to walk out as far as we could go. Look at the trees....that's where the shore is! We are really far out! 



I walked out even further since I had on my muddy boots.



Way out there where we wouldn't normally be able to walk were all these funny shaped things. They almost felt like biodegradable cardboard or something. They were so interesting and did look like anything that belongs in nature. I was sure it was something that fisherman had thrown overboard. Thankfully there was a volunteer there to tell us what they really were. They are actually Moon Snail Egg Cases. 



Looking back toward the dock you can see how low the water is.
 



It was really a very pleasant day to be at the beach! 




Then it was time to go check out the crabs! 


Here's a video of the crabs running around...ignore my ridiculous cackle! 




I wasn't ready to go home yet so I told the kids we needed to cross the stream and find a bench to sit on. 



We crossed over on the rocks very carefully and thankfully no one got wet. We sat on a bench for a bit, ate a snack and then decided to head back to the van. 



On our way to the bridge that goes over the stream I saw these pretty flowers. Such a gorgeous pink color. It was a really fun impromptu field trip!  

0 comments: