Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Strawberry Picking!

We starting going strawberry picking with Kim and her kids back in 2017. Last year, we ended up not going because there was so much crazy stuff going on before I knew it strawberry season was over. :( This year I was determined to not miss it! Back in April, Duris Farms post on FB about their strawberries being about 5 weeks away from being ripe...weather depending of course. 

This year our weather was definitely depending! It felt like summer would NEVER come. I just kept checking to see if they were open yet and finally on June 12th they were open...of course we were in full on getting ready mode for our first camping trip so we weren't able to go until after we got back. 

On Wednesday, June 22nd, we made it down to the strawberry patch. Unfortunately, the Storer family wasn't able to join us....they were over in Europe having a fabulous time on vacation! 


Even though it looks super gross out, the weather was perfect for strawberry picking! It doesn't take much sun to make you blazing hot out there...especially when you're squatting down over and over picking strawberries. 



I had 4 awesome helpers! 

I always have to remind them to look at the backside of the strawberry before they pick it. We had a couple picked that shouldn't have been, but it wasn't a big deal. 



A full box of yumminess!!! 



Michael installed my new sink back in October of 2020 and it's never disappointed me. It was weird going from two smaller sinks to just one big one, but I LOVE it! When it comes to handwashing dishes I just fill one of the dirty pots with soap and water rather than filling up the whole sink. It works out great! I love having all this space to be able to rinse and not spill water all over the floor. Plus it just looks gorgeous...especially filled with strawberries! 



Last year I finally bought a strawberry huller to take the greens out super easy. After washing in a vinegar rinse, I let the strawberries dry on the counter and then pack them away in containers. I had 4 huge containers full of strawberries. They didn't last long though....Duris has THE best strawberries! 

0 comments: