Friday, May 3, 2013

Homemade Donuts!

 Last week on Wednesday Jack just randomly asked if we could make donuts. Since coming back from my women's retreat I've been trying to be more intentional with the kids so even though it sounded a bit daunting to make donuts I thought why not!  
 
 
After researching online I found a recipe that sounded easy and Jack and I gave it a go. In addition to having fun in the kitchen it was a great lesson on learning patience since the dough had to sit and rise twice...once after the original kneading and then again after being cut out into the donut shapes.
 
 
 
I don't have an actual donut cutter so I just improvised. I used a cookie cutter and then a smaller circle cutter from the kids Play-Doh set. Of course I washed it first!
 
 
After cutting out all the donuts there was a little bit of dough left so I let Ella play with the rolling pin and cookie cutters.
 
 
Then it came time to get the oil ready. Here's the part I was worried about since I don't own a Dutch Oven or a thermometer. I ended up researching online to see if there was another way to determine if the oil was hot enough. I found out that the oil is hot enough if you put the handle of a wooden spoon in the oil and if bubbles start to float to the top at a pretty consistent rate.
 
 
My other kitchen cutie was hanging out while I was frying the donuts. He just recently learned to use his sippy cup!
 
 
First I fried the donut holes and then rolled them in a half powdered sugar, half granulated sugar mixture.
 
 
It was fun dropping the donuts in and watching them fry.
 
 
Here they are all plumped up!
 
 
Yummy powdered sugar donuts!!!
 
 
These kiddos...
 
 
were all...
 
 
SO happy!
 
 
Okay maybe not everyone! Zeke thought that I was evil for giving him a donut! Silly kid!
 
I let each of the kids have two donut holes and one donut the night I made them. Then I saved a donut for each of them for the next day. The kids probably would have eaten all of them that night. As it was they literally....
 
 
licked the plate and the table!!!
 
The next night I decided to try my hands at making homemade onion rings, but those were a bit more messy with the batter so there are no pictures of that. Also they were eaten in no time! They seriously were heavenly....bye bye Red Robin's towering onion rings....I can make my own!!!
 
Then the next night we had a BBQ at our neighbors house and she asked me to bring a salad and something fun. So I decided to make donuts again! This time I made glazed donuts and they were A-Mazing! The thing with homemade donuts is they are best when they are still warm so we ended up eating the donuts before we even ate dinner!
 
So three nights of fried food and I was pretty much fried out...the house smelled like oil and I had splatter burns on my hands. It was fun learning something new in the kitchen though!

0 comments: