Sunday, May 12, 2013

The Choices We Make - Finances!



Back in April Michael and I started taking Financial Peace University at our church. I was really excited to start it and I have not been disappointed. 

It's definitely a different way to think and live, but I do honestly feel at peace with our money. Not that I was super worried about it before, but now I feel more in control of our money and where it goes. It's also nice to know that we have money specifically set aside for emergency and then every month we are telling all our money where it goes. 

The biggest change has been no longer using credit. We aren't canceling our accounts, but I cut up my cards. Michael still has his, but he never uses them. It's not like we were in credit card debt, but it was easy to use and then just pay off. Now I'm having to be more mindful of whether or not we actually have the money and do we have money for that specific purpose. 

We are doing the envelope system so we are using cash for most things and it's definitely a different way of thinking. It is WAY harder to hand over cash than it is to swipe a card! 

Also we are budgeting and saving for things now instead of just running out and buying them. For example I really want some shoe cubbies for our entryway closet...normally I would go out and buy them using the credit card and be done with it. Now we are just setting aside some money each month and in two months we'll just go into Lowe's and buy them with cash. It definitely takes some patience! 

Have any of you taken FPU? What are your thoughts on it? Do you still follow the principles? 

1 comments:

Furry Bottoms said...

I got a Ramsey book from Katie G when we were all still at the old place. I can't say I've been fully committed to it 100%. But I have not used a credit card since.... I lived in CA. That's about 14 years. And I barely use my debit card these days. I've heard many good things about this system though, so good luck with it!