Thursday, September 8, 2022

Maui Trip 2022 - Day 1

Michael and I went to Maui in 2019 to celebrate our 20th Wedding Anniversary and we had the time of our life! I definitely thought we would be back, but probably not until our 25th Anniversary. I'm not usually the type of person to do such a big trip like this just any ol' year. I don't know why I'm just not. Then Michael's cousin Robin mentioned that they were going in Sept of 2022 and she asked if we'd like to go. Absolutely!!!! Of course when planned this trip things were still pretty iffy in regards to Covid and all the restrictions. When I actually booked our flights they were still requiring a vaccine or a negative Covid test. I was hoping that those things wouldn't be required come September, but we knew we would just deal with it if we had to. 

Thankfully as the year moved along thing opened more and more and I think it was in May when they said you no longer had to fly with masks and it was shortly after that when you no longer needed to have a vaccine or a negative test. I was worried that things might loosen up and then tighten up more once we got to September, but thankfully that wasn't the case. 

Once we decided to take this trip we contacted Papa & Ruth to see if they would mind watching the kids for us. Thankfully they were up for it. :) The kids have a lot of activities during the week so I had written up a whole schedule for them to follow. Busy busy busy! We did have the kids skip out on school though for 2 weeks....this was one of the reasons we started school so early. 

The morning of Wednesday, September 7th, Ruth dropped Papa off at our house so he could take us to the airport. 



Jack & Ella wanted to ride with us to the airport, but Owen & Zeke stayed home. 



The day before our flight I went to check in online and noticed that I spelled my first name wrong. Instead of Lyndsay I spelled it Lynsay. Seriously I've only been spelling it 40+ years! Sheesh! 

I tried to contact reservations, but the number I called told me to press #2 for existing reservations and then the message said....we don't help with existing reservations only new ones and then I was hung up on. Okay...so I then tried to chat online with someone and she said that since I'd already completely the check in process I would have to go the reservations desk at the airport to have it changed. I was in the middle of typing another question when she terminated my chat with her. Needless to say I wasn't super impressed with Alaska at that moment. 

When we got to the airport, we got in the line that we thought we needed to be in and we even asked one of the employees and she confirmed we were in the correct line. It was not moving anywhere!! After asking us what we were in line for for the third time the employee decided to help us herself. I watched her correct the spelling of my name. She said it would be fixed for the return trip as well. She printed out our tickets and sent us on our way. We went through security and had plenty of time to make our flight. 

As we were standing in line getting ready to board I actually looked at my ticket she printed out and it had Michael's name on it. His ticket also had his name on it. Then it made sense to Michael because he said the security agent looked at him funny since I went through security first. I don't know how it let me because they even scanned my drivers license. Who knows! Anyway of course the gate agent noticed it and thankfully she just checked my ID, made sure I was actually listed on the plane and then let me on. 



On our way! 

Another little hiccup in regards to the flight was the wifi was not working very well. We followed the instructions and purchased the wifi in order to have access to the movie library, but we both had to constantly be disconnecting from the wifi and then reconnecting to get the movie to play. Super frustrating! The flight attendants on board were also not the nicest...there was no way I was going to ask for help because I doubt they would have been any anyways. After this flight Michael and I have decided we will never fly Alaska again to Hawaii! We will still flight Alaska to other places, but Hawaii is just too long of a flight and Hawaiian is just superior when it comes to going to the islands. I mean...it is their namesake! 

After the flight we made our way to the rental car and picked up a Chevy Camaro and then headed to the first place everyone that comes to Maui go to....Costco! We got some danishes, a Caesar Salad kit, a Chicken Yakisoba Kit, blueberries, raspberries, Liquid IV, Sunscreen, Box of Hawaiian Chips & Reusable Water Bottles. 



We booked with Papakea again through Costco and even got our exact same room that we were in in 2019! It was kind of crazy and actually nice. We do really like the room so that was a plus! The next time we go to Maui though we do want to try to reserve building A. That's the building on the right in the above picture. It's an ocean front property not just an ocean view property! 



The first place we had dinner last time was called Honu Seafood & Pizza. I'd been dreaming of the Margherita pizza that I had and knew I wanted to get that again. The restaurant actually changed its name. It's now Honu Oceanside and it's way nicer than before. I feel like a bunch of places used Covid to their advantage and were able to remodel without having to impact their business since everything was shutdown. It was really nice! 



The pizza was just as yummy as I remember! 



During our drive back to the resort we missed our first sunset! I was so bummed! The sunset is was of the most gorgeous things about Maui. I knew I wanted to make sure to not miss anymore if we could help it! 



Living life with this man is one of my favorite things! 

I've said this before, but I'll say it again. Hawaii is not for children! One day our kids are going to move out and it's just going to be me and Michael. Not that our kids won't be a part of our lives, but definitely not in the same way they are now. We...him and I need to know each other, love each other and best of all like each other. That's what Maui is to us....it's our time! It's time to work on us! The last thing I want is when the kids move out to look across the table at him and think....who are you?!?! We love our kids and we enjoy going on trips with them....road trips & camping trips. They enjoy those too! They also enjoy having 2 parents that love each other so even though they aren't getting to experience Hawaii firsthand...they will one day I'm sure...they are absolutely getting to reap the benefits.

0 comments: