Monday, September 12, 2022

Maui Trip 2022 - Day 5

One of the nice things about Maui is the sun rises and sets at almost the exact same time all throughout the year. Since we are on west coast time it made it really easy to get up early and it was nice that the sun was there to say hello. Most days we'd wake up between 5:30 - 6am and just go sit out on the lanai enjoying the morning. Which when you think about it back in Washington that puts us waking up around 8:30am which isn't far off from when I woke up during the summer months. 



This particular morning the clouds made such pretty colors in the sky I had to snap a picture. This is facing inland in the direction of the West Maui Mountains. 

This day was our 4th day of our beach rentals so we knew we had to take advantage of those one more time. The shack at The Sands of Kahana closes at 1:30pm...that's typically when the waves in front of the resort get choppy. Anyways, we knew we weren't going to be back in time with the snorkel gear to return them before he closed. The guy was so awesome...he just told us to keep them and return them the next morning. I love Hawaii!!! 

Michael and Robin really wanted us to go this bay they knew about. Later on we found out the name of it is Honolua Bay. It was about a 10 minutes drive north of us. We had to park on the side of the road and then walk through the jungle to get there. The beach is mostly these huge rocks which is one of the reasons it's such a great place to snorkel...no sand to get stirred up by the surf.



I knew I just wanted to sit and read so we brought a beach chair for me and I was set up. There were a ton of chickens running around and they were fun to watch. Ryan and Ben were trying to catch one so badly, but they didn't have any luck. There were some people though that must have been chicken whisperers because they were walking around carrying them like pets. 



This bay is where a lot of snorkel tours bring the tourists so there were at least 4 boats in the bay. 



Everyone was out there snorkeling for about an hour. Michael had to come back in since his mask was bothering his nose. He had the best time though....he said it was absolutely crystal clear and he saw so many fish! He loved it! We'll definitely be back here next time. As for me snorkeling is not my favorite. I hate the way the mask makes my eyes feel like they are bugging out and I also have a hard time mouth breathing. I'm such a nose breather it takes me forever to settle down and get in a good rhythm. 



Robin had loads of fun too. She came in because her faces was burning. I don't know if it was the salt water or what, but it took a while for it to stop hurting! 



After the younger guys came back in we packed up and headed to this little beachside bar called The Burger Shack for lunch. The views were awesome and so was the food. I got the fish tacos with pickled onions and jalapeƱos! Yummy!!! Ryan got this Oreo milkshake that he shared with me and it was A-Mazing!!! 



There was this area off to the side that they were setting up for a luau that night and we just had to snag a picture with this is fun Aloha sign! 



I love how the O is a pineapple!!! So cute! 




The beach we were overlooking was DT Fleming State Park. It definitely had some bigger waves which was exactly what the younger guys wanted. They had been wanting to boogie board so now was their opportunity! 



Those guys went out there, got thrown around, beat up and even caught some waves. They didn't lose their sense of humor in the process so that was good! :) 




While we were at Honolua I was sitting in the shade as well as at DT Felming State Park so I really want to get some sun! We came back to our beach to chill out, listen to the waves and read!  



So pretty! 



And of course tree pictures! 



Michael even lounged in the sun too! 



After some sun we went upstairs, showered and got ready for dinner. Since we had a late lunch we decided to push dinner back until 7pm so we were able to catch the sunset from our beach. 



I think I said this in one of my posts while we were there....this is simultaneously one of the best parts of the day on Maui while also being the most heartbreaking as well. You feel so blessed that you get to witness such a glorious sight and then at the same time each sunset brings you a day closer to leaving. I know that might sound hokey, but if you've never been to Maui you won't understand. It's seriously magical there! 



Our plan was to go eat sushi at Miso Phat which is right across the street from The Sands of Kahana, but by 7pm they were packed and it was going to be about an hour and a half wait. So we changed plans and wandered down the way a bit to Dollie's Pub. We were able to pull two tall tables together and make it work. The place was packed and our waiter was awesome! 



We got another margherita pizza and while it wasn't as good at Honu's Oceanside, it was yummy! 



Showing off my tan lines again! The funny thing about Hawaii is you pack all these clothes and then you mainly wear your swimsuit all day and then change into actual clothes for dinner. I didn't even wear all the clothes I brought with me!

0 comments: