Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Maui Trip 2022 - Day 6

Day 6 was our adventure around the island day. I started my day with sitting on the lanai and I saw that the moon was still out. It almost looks like twilight more than it does dawn, but it is actually morning. 


Last time we were in Maui we did the Road to Hana and our tour took us all the way around Haleakala. It was fabulous! We tried to drive around the West Maui Mountains, but I freaked out because there were parts where the road was so skinny and I couldn't take it so we turned around and came back. In reality that was more scary than if we had just kept driving because once we turned around we were now drive on the cliffside of the road instead of the hillside. I didn't think that one through though. This time around my goal was to drive all the way around the West Maui Mountains. 




We also wanted to make a few stops and do some hiking. 



The coastline is just gorgeous! 



We had hiked down to see the blowhole in 2019, but the way the waves were coming in it wasn't shooting any water up at all. This time around we got a nice view of it spouting water. 



So rugged! 



We also wanted to go see the Olivine Pools...in 2019 the water was really gross because they had just had a storm. 



This time around the pools were more clear for sure. 




I love that big hillside out there. I have no idea what it's called, but to me it looks like the Half Dome in Yosemite National Park.
 


There were all sorts of signs saying don't hike down to the pools because people have died. They even had two basically headstones there. Of course Michael and I wanted to go down there. I didn't want to go as far as Michael did so I stayed up a bit more. He was right down by the water. 



He just had to get to this pool. The ocean would come up and splash and overfill the pool. Of course when I was taking pictures it didn't do that. Michael said the pool was FULL of life. He even saw a decent size crab that got freaked out by him and ran away to hide under a rock! 



The ocean was a bit angry! 



Here it is crashing into the pool!



Gorgeous turquoise water! 


We survived and then had to hike back up. That was fun! There were people at the top that were watching us. I'm pretty sure they thought we were nuts!

We continued our drive around the mountains and for the most part after we got past this one section it wasn't bad at all. Plus were we on the hillside so it felt so much safer! 



Almost all the way around! 



In 2019 we went to Mama's Fishhouse for lunch and spent WAY to much money! It was a LOT! This time around we knew we didn't want to eat too much especially since we already had dinner plans for 4:30pm. So we went in with a game plan. We weren't able to get a reservation, but they did have room for us at the bar. 



I ordered my favorite drink....Blueberry Lemon Drop! 

Michael ordered a drink as well. We got an appetizer of Fried Wonton Shrimp....the sauce was divine! 

The reason we came back was this....



Tomato Bisque! 

Probably the most boring picture I took of the whole trip, but absolutely amazing! When we came last time they gave your a little shot glass of this and it was heaven. This time around I knew I wanted a whole bowl. Michael got a bowl too. Hands down my favorite thing there! 



After our bowls of soup we split this....Passion Fruit Creme Brûlée! 

The only way I can describe this is it's a kick in your mouth. So much flavor! 



After lunch we had to hang out on the beach for a bit! 



It's a pretty beach, but I haven't seen an ugly one in Maui yet! 



Love going on adventure with this guy! 



My favorite! 




After Mama's we drove over to Hookipa Beach. Our tour guide for the Road to Hana stopped here so we could check out the beach and eat breakfast. This beach is know as the Kite Surfing Beach. It's hard to see in this picture, but there are a ton of kite surfers out there. It was so much fun to watch them! 



There were some normal surfers too, but man do those kite surfers have fun and they never had to wait for the right wave to come along. It's crazy! 



This beach is also a safe haven for the turtles. So many turtles beach themselves off to the right sandy portion of the beach. We had lots of fun watching the turtles go out and then come back it. It's fun when you can see the turtles in the surf. 

Once we were finished there it was back to the condo so we could get ready for dinner that night.




We had dinner reservations at Merriman's. We ate here in 2019 on our actually 20th Wedding Anniversary. Although back then I didn't know that the sunset set so early in Maui so by the time we had dinner the sun had already set. It was a total bummer because we could hear the water we just couldn't see it. This time around I was determined to eat there in the daylight. 



You have to make reservations 30 days in advance and I was hounding their website just waiting for the day to come up and by the time it did the closet dinner time I could get prior to sunset was 4:30pm! This was the view from our table.....it was amazing! 



This is the Hawaiian shirt Michael bought down in Lahaina a couple days earlier. I think it looks really nice without being cheesy! 



Merriman's has changed since Covid so instead of having a menu has food individually priced you just pay a set price per head. It was a bit more expense this time around. So instead of pay way to much at Mama's we spent way to much at Merriman's! Since the sun was coming down they had these nice shades that kept it out of our eyes for a while. 



For my entree I got the filet with veggies and these velvety garlic mash potatoes. They were so yummy! 

My dessert was amazing it was Pot de Creme with fruit relish....I didn't even take a picture of it it was so yummy! 



Once the sun got low enough in the horizon it was shining right in our faces, but I didn't even care. It was gorgeous! 



We finished dinner before the sun actually set, but they had this seating area outside that they let you hang out at. We just sat there for a bit and then Michael wanted us to walk down closer to the shore. 



We ended up walking on the other side of the elevated dining area and we had this whole beach front spot to ourselves. 



There was one umbrella and a few chairs....I imagine it's a place where some of the employees come to hang out. It was so private and wonderful! 




There were some clouds on the horizon, but that wasn't going to damper our sunset watching! 



The clouds didn't quite reach to the bottom of the horizon so the sun made an appearance again right before it disappeared for the night! 



There it goes! 



Another amazing day in paradise! 

0 comments: