Monday, July 16, 2012

Homemade Fruit Snacks!

I found this recipe on Pinterest and knew I just had to try it. I just happened to have unflavored gelatin on hand since I had tried to make my own yogurt last year....didn't really like the way it turned out and I haven't tried it again.


All you need is 2 packets of unflavored gelatin, 1 small box of jello...any flavor you want and 1/3 cup of water or juice. You just put the water in a small saucepan and then sprinkle the gelatin on the water and heat and stir it until the gelatin dissolves. It doesn't take very long at all.


I got the star mold at The Dollar Tree and I should have bought one more. I ended up using a Christmas Candy mold I borrowed from my friend Kim and then I still had a bit more so I just barely filled up the bottom of a few ice cube slots in a normal ice cube tray.


The star ones were my favorite although since I didn't fill the mold to the top it was a bit hard to get them out. I thought they wouldn't taste good being that thick though. As it was these are bigger than normal store bought fruit snacks.


These are quite sticky and I wouldn't say they taste exactly like fruit snacks....more like gummy bears. Owen didn't like them at all...he can't handle things with funny textures and he doesn't really like store bought fruit snacks so this wasn't a surprise in the least. Jack and Ella scarfed them down! They literally ate all of them...I got one! This made 28 snacks so it's not a ton and they don't last. It's a good use of extra Jello you have lying around. My kids won't eat Jello normally so I think I'll make these every now and then as a treat!

0 comments: