Thursday, July 12, 2012

Owen's Quiet Book!

When I originally decided to make Ella and Jack both Quiet Books I hadn't planned to make one for Owen. Honestly I thought that he wouldn't want one since they tend to be more for littler kids. Well that all changed once he saw me working on Ella's. He asks all the time if he can play with her book. I still haven't let the kids look at their books so they will be something new for the plane. Anyways...I decided I would make one for him and try to make the pages more advanced for him.


For Jack & Ella's books I made 8 pages, but Owen's ended up being a bit thicker due to the extras I added so I only made him a 6 page book.


I found these super cute alphabet buttons at Wal-Mart for only $1.99! I thought about sewing each of them on individually, but then I came to my senses and brought out the hot glue gun!


As you can see the rocket ship is a puzzle held on by Velcro. I found the idea for the memory game on Pinterest and I love how it has the pockets. I was tired of sewing all those little pieces of Velcro so it was nice to do something different.


Here's Owen's very own treasure hunt. I was going to do a page with a shoe so he could learn how to tie a knot, but then I remembered that his treasure map was held together with ribbon.


The map leads you to the secret pouch where the key to the treasure chest is. I secured the key with a ribbon so it wouldn't get lost. I was going to print out pictures of our family to be the "treasure", but my ink cartridge for my printer ran out...I'm either going to go through pictures that I have on hand or have Costco print more recent ones. I also decided it would be fun to for him to have something that looks like actual treasure so I put in a bunch of those smashed pennies that I've collected over the years at various vacation locations.


Here is Owen's town page. There is a garage that holds the little red car in the lower left corner. You can see the airport on the right page. The little airplane is secured to the book by some elastic it can be unwound so it can takeoff from the runway and flown around, but not lost.


The mountain with the waterfall is also a tunnel.


Also on the right page is a car wash and a gas station. I had some black letters and I used a lower case 'r' for the gas pump.

It was so much fun making these for the kids and there are other pages I would love to make. I might end up making more of these as gifts for people. It really is relaxing to just sit at my craft table and create something so fun.

If you would like to see the other quiet books I've made click here to see Jack's and here to see Ella's.

0 comments: