Friday, July 27, 2012

Mini Makeover!

I don't know about you, but sometimes I just get a feeling that I NEED to change the layout of my house. Lately that feeling has been burning inside of me. So on Tuesday I did a mini makeover of our kitchen.


These first two pictures are what our kitchen looked like before. They are old pictures (before kids) so there are no paintings on the frig or junk on the counters!


When we moved into this house I was so excited that the kitchen was big enough to have an island....a small island, but an island. My friend Jen also gave me her old pot rack I had always wanted a pot rack! Lately the island has been bugging me. The kids are always wanting to be in the kitchen "helping" me and they pull chairs over to the counter and it's almost impossible to move around. It usually ends with me getting frustrated and telling them to, "Get out of my kitchen". I don't necessarily like doing that because I want them to "help" me even if it takes longer. I want them to want to cook and eat the things they help me cook. So....


I moved the island and took down the pot rack. I also dusted the light fixture up there and let me tell ya that was gross. I have never in all the almost 7 years we've lived here dusted it. Don't judge me!


The kitchen feels and is SO much bigger now. We don't have to walk around the island to get to the frig or the stove. We aren't squeezing by each other either. I mean the kids and I danced in the kitchen tonight! It is going to take some getting used to since I was so used to setting things on the island in it's former location.


So where did I move the island...over to the corner where the bistro table used to be...sorry no before picture. I've been a bit irritated with the bistro table for a while too. First off it's really an outdoor patio set and the cushions my MIL had made me wore out and I haven't been able to find the right size and shape for the chairs. Also since it's a bistro table there are only 2 chairs. When it was just Owen and I it was great. We would eat lunch in the kitchen every day. When Jack was born we still ate lunch in there and I just moved his highchair in the kitchen. When Jack moved out of his highchair I just stood, but once Ella came along we just started eating lunch at the dining room table. It wasn't getting used as much so I figured we wouldn't miss it.


Here's a closer shot of the former island. I wasn't sure Michael would want the pot rack hung up like that, but he didn't fight me...he just went to the hardware store and got the right bolt things he needed and hung it up. I guess that's what 13 years of marriage gets you...a husband that just wants to make you happy! And happy I am! I feel so good having gotten one room updated. It feels new and rejuvenated! Michael has also been working on an impromptu remodel of the kids bathroom due to an unexpected toilet overflowing and ruining the flooring. I'll post pictures of that once it's finished. Next up on my list is getting Michael's office moved downstairs and changing the room upstairs into Owen's very own alone room. Then we'll be moving Zeke in with Jack. Cha Cha Cha Changes!

0 comments: