Thursday, August 27, 2009

The World's Smallest Corn Stalk

Have you ever seen an 8 inch tall corn stalk actually grow corn? I hadn't either. These are the corn stalks that I transplanted when my friend Steph and I thinned out my corn. We weren't even sure they would make it we just wanted to give them a shot to grow. I was totally shocked that they are actually producing corn. I mean soon the corn itself will be bigger than the stalk. Who knows if they'll even taste good!
Here is one of my normal sized corn stalks with my biggest corn on the cob. Yummy!

There are my pathetic onions! We bought them at Lowe's and unfortunately the roots were already growing together so we were afraid to separate them. We ended up just planting them in the bunches they came in. So they are all clumped together and are not getting very big. I think I'll try growing onions from seeds or blubs or whatever they are next year to avoid this problem.

As for the rest of my garden...my tomatoes are ripening. Now I just need to get my cousin's recipe for Pico De Gallo. My strawberry plants aren't producing much, but I've been told that's what they do the first year. My zucchini is growing just the perfect amount for us. I did end up having to pull all my lettuce and my peas because they were spent. I think I'm going to plant some more lettuce though so we can have another crop.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I always assumed that the mini-corn at salad bars came from mini stalks. Are you sure you didn't just plant mini corn?