Monday, September 28, 2009

Talking Back

A certain 2 1/2 year old at our house has joined the band wagon of other 2 1/2 year olds and is now talking back. Oh the joys of always having to be on your toes! :) His favorite thing to say now when he doesn't want to hear what I have to say is to say, "Mama, no talk to Owen!" Oh that that hits a nerve with me! OH!!!!
I have tried various things like informing him that he is not allowed to talk to Mama like that and it's unacceptable behavior. I've also put him in time out when he's talked sassy to me and a few times I've bopped him in the mouth if he's really yelled at me if he didn't like what I was doing. I really don't like that one though because instead of teaching him anything I think the bopping on his mouth really hurts his feelings more than anything and I don't want him to feel hurt in his heart because of something I've done. It makes me sad just thinking about it. I know that he's in the process of learning to express himself more with words and I just need to help him learn what's appropriate and what's not. Since this it my firstborn and I've never dealt with this before I was wondering if other more experienced moms out there have any advise or insight on how to deal with this. Which techniques and punishments worked for you? Did you read any books that helped?

3 comments:

Melody said...

Boy, I wish I could give you some good advice. We are in the thick of dealing with our own discipline issues with our own 3.5 year old....trying to nip some behaviors in the bud before our life gets even more crazy with the arrival of the baby.

I would say whatever you do, consistency is the key. When you are speaking to him stop what you are doing and squat down on his level and make him have eye contact with you. At that age, a flick on the hand of one swift swat to the buns may be pretty effective. Good luck : )

Anonymous said...

WELL, I REMEMBER WHEN YOU WERE LEARNING " TO PUSH THE ENVELOPE" IT HELPED TO SAY THAT YOU HURT MY FEELINGS...YOU COULD NOT STAND THAT..IT MADE YOU CRY BUT I THINK YOU WERE OLDER THATN OWEN..HE WAS SASSY WITH ME THE OTHER NIGHT YOU WERE DOWN TO THE HOUSE..I IGNORED HIM AND HE CAME OVER AND SAT ON MY LAP AND WANTED ME TO PLAY WITH HIM..I THINK HE WAS FEELING SNUBBED!!! IT IS HARD TO KNOW THAT RIGHT THING TO DO AND ALL CHILDREN ARE DIFFERENT...BUT YOU TOO WILL FIND "YOUR" WAY!! LOVE U MOM

Unknown said...

Spare the rod and spoil the child.

Having no kids myself, I'm probably not the best resource for child rearing advice, but I'll pass on this little gem I learned from Grandpa Simpson: "It was your mother's job to name you and love you and such. I was mainly in it for the spanking."