Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ella's Birth Story

Monday after I hung out with my girl friend Lori and Michael got home from taking the boys to the zoo we had a pretty low key evening. I had been having back pain since Sunday, but I didn't really think much about it. After dinner I decided to take a bath in hopes of that helping a little with the pain. Once we put the boys down for bed I settled in to watch The Bachelor. Around 9:30 I had one really long painful contraction. It lasted around 5 minutes. Then I started having contractions every 2 minutes so I called the on-call doctor. My contractions continued and once we heard back from the doctor we started getting ready to head to the hospital.

I called my parents and they drove up to stay the night with the boys. I felt so bad because I told the boys we would see them in the morning because at the time we put them to bed I wasn't contracting. I did go in and kiss them goodbye before we left, but I still hate saying one thing to them and then doing another even if it wasn't on purpose.


Here I am in triage getting monitored. My contractions were coming pretty regularly and they were pretty strong. When we got there I was 2 cm dilated, but that didn't really matter since I had to have a C-Section anyway. We were scheduled to have the C-Section around 1am, but then we got bumped by an emergency C-Section. Since I had to wait another hour they gave me a drug to stop my contractions so I didn't have to be uncomfortable during that time.


Right around 2:20am we headed back to the OR for the surgery. The anaesthesiologist had a hard time getting my spinal block in place. I got really lightheaded and nauseous, but never threw up...thank goodness! Once that was in place it was only about a half an hour before they had Ella out.

Here she is getting pulled out of my belly! I love that Michael is willing to take pictures like these and he doesn't get grossed out.


Here I am world!!!!


At this point I wasn't feel very good at all. I was shaking so badly...it's a side effect of the spinal block. I ended up not even getting to hold Ella until after we were out of the OR.


Finally getting to hold my baby girl!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome pics! I am so happy you are thoughtful enough to bring your laptop with you so you can BLOG after giving BIRTH!!! sheesh!! :)

Lori said...

So happy that I made it into Ella's birth story! I think it's totally fitting that I spent the morning with you, since I got to watch the boys while you were (secretly) going to get an ultrasound! She's such a beautiful little blessing. And I hope I don't get baby fever when I get to hold her....

:) L.