Monday, January 10, 2011

I'm At A Loss!

Last night Owen went to bed at 6pm! Not willingly of course...he didn't eat dinner so Daddy sent him to bed early. I'm so at a loss with this kid. I just don't get it. The kid doesn't eat. He doesn't even really seem to like food!


Seriously here's a list of the food Owen doesn't like...

Grilled Cheese
Soup
Any Sandwich with Meat
Hot Dogs
Corn Dogs
Yogurt
String Cheese (He pretty much doesn't like cheese in general....especially melted cheese)
Nachos
Tacos
Fajitas
Pizza
Mashed Potatoes
Olives
Eggs
Bacon
Hash Browns
Bananas
Oranges
Any Vegetable
Watermelon
Cantaloupe
Beans
Chicken On The Bone
Hamburgers


Here's a list of the food Owen does like...

Peanut Butter & Jelly or Nutella
Toast with Jam
Sausage Links or Patties
Goldfish
Pop Tarts
Toaster Strudel
Wheat Thins
Chips
Macaroni & Cheese
Top Raman
Chicken Nuggets
French Fries
Apples
Strawberries
Blueberries
Oatmeal
Boneless Chicken
Cereal
Muffins
Graham Crackers
Yogurt Covered Raisins
French Toast
Waffles
Pancakes
Banana Bread
Candy Canes or Suckers


The other day Owen actually turned down a Reese's Peanut Butter cup....seriously! I'm just so freakin' irritated right now. Some times Jack won't eat, but it doesn't bother me at all because he is able to keep himself in check and when he's hungry he eats. Owen chooses not to eat and then gets to a point where he absolutely cannot control himself because he's SO hungry. But HE chooses this....we put food in front of him and he CHOOSES not to eat. I keep thinking he'll get it, but he doesn't! He asks to be excused because he doesn't want to eat what we are eating and I tell him, "This is dinner....we won't be eating again until breakfast when the sun comes up!" Then he gets down and in the morning the first thing I hear is, "Mama I'm SO hungry!" Yeah of course you are....you didn't eat! Sorry I'm venting, but seriously how thick headed can you be!!!!


I wish I had one of those kids and just ate and ate and ate. I would love it if he ate an entire sandwich and asked for more. It seems like we've tried everything in the book too. We let him choose what to eat from what's on the table, we let him get involved and cook the food in hopes that he'll want to try it, we don't let him have snacks between mealtimes so he's hungry, we let him have snacks between mealtimes in hopes that he doesn't come to the table too hungry...so on and so on and so on!


This is just something we've dealt with since Owen started eating solid foods and it's not getting any better. It makes is really disheartening too when you try to make good wholesome food for your family and your kid asks you what's for dinner and the first sentence out of his mouth is, "I don't like it!"

2 comments:

Furry Bottoms said...

He's not hypoglycemic is he? Because from your list of what he DOES eat, it's mostly carbs.

Maybe the smell is upsetting his stomach... maybe he just doesn't have an appetite until it's too late. Which makes me wonder about hypoglycemia... thats when you cannot control yourself and you HAVE to eat something all of a sudden. I think its the opposite of diabetes, but I'm not sure. I'm no doctor!

Something you think he chooses to do may not be it. But you're the mom so maybe it is. Remember Bradley? He refused anything except chicken nuggets and fries for the longest time. But he got out of that eventually so don't lose heart!

Melody said...

Hang in there, friend!

This too shall pass! Really...it will : - )