Thursday, January 13, 2011

Inward Joy

I just found this blog from another blog I read. This family is struggling through losing a child while preparing to welcome another one in just a few short weeks. In her first blog post she talks about Psalms 4:7 "You have filled my heart with greater joy than when their grain and new wine abound." Here is what the commentary in her bible said about this particular verse: "Two kinds of joy are contrasted here-inward joy that comes from knowing and trusting God and happiness that comes as a result of pleasant circumstances. Inward joy is steady as long as we trust God; happiness is unpredictable. Inward joy defeats discouragement; happiness covers it up. Inward joy is lasting; happiness is temporary." Life Application Study Bible, NIV

Although Michael and I know what it's like to lose a child to miscarriage I can only imagine having held and comforted a child for 5 years and then have her be gone. Yes I believe as they do that it's only temporary and that they will see their daughter again and that we will see our baby in heaven as well, but that doesn't make it any less difficult for the ones that are left behind.

I think too much of our culture strives for the happy side of things. We are all about instant gratification and if it feels good do it. At the same time God calls us to do many things that don't make you necessarily happy such as - working at a job you don't enjoy - moving to a different state - dealing with a sick child. God doesn't say that being a Christian is going to be all sunshine and roses. James 1:2 says "My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials." When you fall not if! The difference is we as Christians are call to "count it all joy"! To rise up and stand firm in the knowledge that God will never leave us nor forsake us.


As I struggle to hold on to myself during this challenging time in my life I pray that God will so lovingly grant me that inward joy that he spoke of in Psalms.

1 comments:

Furry Bottoms said...

This happened to my neighbor, two houses down. They lost a 5 yr old son suddenly, and Holly, the mom, gave birth to a baby a few weeks later. I cannot imagine how difficult that must have been. It is mind boggling. I feel for the woman you just found.