Monday, January 31, 2011

Update On Ella!

So on Friday we went up to The Center of Children's Dentistry north of Children's Hospital for a follow up. Ella was her normal happy self of course! Walking all over the lobby while we waited to be seen.

While we were waiting I noticed that I had one of Ella's little bows in her diaper bag. Ella hasn't really had enough hair to put in a bow before, but this time it stayed. Although....I'm not sure I like it. This is my first girl so I'm not used to "doing hair"...maybe I just put it in wrong, who knows!

Of course she's chewing on everything right now it's like she's doesn't even know she has a wound in her mouth! So the dentist took a look at it and it was not showing any signs of infection so that was good news. The chunk of gum tissue could still be moved back and forth from side to side. They decided they would consult with the oral surgeon on Monday. In the meantime they sent me home with some antiseptic liquid to dab on her wound with a Q-tip.

Today I talked with them and since we have been keeping our eye on it and feel that it's definitely NOT infected they want us to just continue doing what we are doing and come back for another follow up next Tuesday. What I took away from the conversation from the dentist today is it sounds like new gum tissue is going to grow up inside of the wound and eventually the chunk of her gums that's not fully connected will need to be removed. Ewww! If you zoom in on the above picture you can see the wound on the upper right side. The darker red line on her gums is the entry point.


Of course about 5 minutes after I got off the phone with the dentist she fell over holding another toy and her mouth started bleeding all over again. She's just at this phase where EVERYTHING goes in her mouth and it's almost impossible to keep her mouth safe 100% of the time. The part that's been the hardest is she just wants to eat! The dentist wants us to only give her soft food with no particles. So I've been feeding her yogurt, baby food, mashed potatoes, soup, pudding and ice cream. She is so independent though...she LOVES to feed herself. So tonight I finally gave in and let her eat some canned peas and bread sticks. I have noticed that she is favoring her left side when she chews and I won't be giving her any food that is hard, but I do want her to have some more options. Hopefully this will be a distance memory real soon!

0 comments: