Sunday, May 29, 2011

Ryan's BBQ Booklet!

So in addition to diving into FlyLady and a new discipline method with the kids I also found some time to make my brother his birthday present. Mainly because I worked on it after Michael got home and I'm sure by the look on my face he knew he should get the kids out of my hair or things were going to turn ugly. Anywho...


Since we are still having to scrimp and save even though Michael has a new job I'm left with the task of making gifts. I don't say that begrudgingly...not at all! I really do like to make gifts, but usually when you make gifts you still have to go out and buy some stuff. So I'm having to be really creative to just use what I have on hand. Plus coming up with a manly crafty homemade present can be problematic. Thankfully on Wednesday (3 days before his party) I finally came up with a good idea....

Handy Dandy Mini BBQ Cookbook. I got the idea all because of that cute little latch key chain thing that I bought using a Groupon that I had got for Paper Zone. Those things come in SO handy for things like flash cards for the kids. So I saw one of those in my craft area and the idea was born. I designed the front and back of the book using Microsoft Publisher and shrunk the image down to the size I need.



Then I took our BBQ Bible that I got Michael years ago and went through it and picked out 1 steak, 1 chicken, 1 pork, 1 salmon dish. I also added in 2 side dishes, 1 bread recipe, 2 desserts, 1 marinade and 1 rub. That equals a lot of typing!


My friend Kim helped it all come together though..she's the one with The Big Shot. It's a cutting machine from Sizzix that you buy through Stampin' Up. I laminated all the pages (I had just enough) and then used The Big Shot to cut them out into this nice scalloped square.


It turned out just like I imagined it would and I finished it in 2 days!


Happy Birthday Ryan!!!


Sorry the pictures aren't that good...I had to take them without the flash since the laminating sheets reflect the light.

0 comments: