Monday, May 11, 2009

San Francisco Trip - Fisherman's Wharf & Alcatraz

Michael and I left for our trip early on Thursday morning. We had to be at the airport by 5am. I had to pump before we left so I had to get up at 3:50! I was so excited about the trip the night before I wasn't able to get to sleep until after 11:30 so needless to say I was tired.
After we landed in San Francisco we got our rental car and headed straight to Fisherman's Wharf. I love it! We ate breakfast at The Eagle Cafe, did a little shopping and then headed over to Pier 33 to catch the boat to Alcatraz.

We were able to get on the 11:30 boat that took us over to Alcatraz. Michael has been there, but he was about 6 years old so he doesn't remember much. I knew it would be interesting, but we both agree that it was more fun than we expected.

See how my upper shoulders are showing in this picture. Oh yeah...I didn't remember to pack the sunscreen and I am definitely paying for it. I got totally burnt on my neck and shoulders and the top of my forehead. There were two gift shops on the island, but neither of them sold sunscreen. However, the gift shop once you got off the island did...go figure!

He's the boat we came over on. It can hold up to 300 passengers.



Alcatraz is a great place for birds. There are no natural predators on the island so the birds are everywhere. It's quite an active time for them as well being spring and all.


There is a great audio tour that comes with your admission. It was 45 minutes and it guided us through the cell block (the above picture is what the prisoners called Broadway), recreation yard, D block (Solitary Confinement), Library, Warden's Office, Control Room and the Dining Hall. It was a terrific tour!


Here Michael is sitting in one of the standard cells.


This is known as The Hole. If you know how I used to be when I was little this picture would shock you. We once went on a tour of a prison when I was young and I FREAKED OUT. I don't like confined places at all.



Here is a partial view of the city from the island. There were two cruises in port the day we were there.



Self portrait! The rubble behind us is old military buildings that were bulldozed once the island wasn't used for a prison anymore. Thankfully the island was made into a National Park before they bulldozed more. So much history would have been lost.


This is what's left of the Warden's House. It's on the side of the island facing the city. Spectacular view!!! Unfortunately there was a fire in 1970 that destroyed most of it.



This is the lighthouse. The original lighthouse was torn down some years ago and this one was put in it's place.
Michael and I spent about 2 1/2 hours on the island and it wasn't creepy at all. I thought it might be, but really it was quite educational learning about the history. It was totally worth it!

2 comments:

The Ames Family said...

Oh I LOVE Alcatraz! It's so creepy and cool! Looks like you had a wonderful day :)

Unknown said...

Believe it or not, after several trips to San Francisco (my sister lives in the area), I've still never been to Alcatraz. My sister has been there before and refuses to go back again. I have been to the Pez Museum in Burlingame though!

I'm surprised you got sunburned. Usually San Fran is covered in enough fog that there isn't any danger of burning. As Mark Twain is purported to have said, "The coldest winter I ever saw was the summer I spent in San Francisco."