Monday, May 25, 2009

Visiting Peepaw

Today we went to visit Peepaw's grave for the first time. We haven't been here since his service back on October 14th. We couldn't have asked for a nicer day to go. Memorial Day hasn't every really been something I've thought about. I know that sounds bad, but it was always just one of those 3 day weekends and that's it. Now that my grandfather is laid to rest in a National Cemetery it means more. There are so many men and women that have died for our freedom it's a bit overwhelming when you think about it. I'm very proud of my grandpa and I miss him dearly.
The cemetery was so beautiful with all the flags. I love the flag. I'm very proud of my country!

This is the section where my grandpa is laid to rest.

My grandpa...Owen & Jack's Peepaw. Or as Owen has renamed him...Pawpee. Somehow I think that he wouldn't mind.


GG standing next to Peepaw's grave. This August would have been their 60th wedding anniversary. It was hard for GG to leave. She's not sure when she'll be able to visit again.

Mom and Dad



Uncle Cliff & Cousin Nicky



Me, Jack, Owen and Michael.


Jack was exactly 4 months old when Peepaw died.




This is my new favorite picture of Jack and Ga-Ga. It wasn't necessarily a sad visit. I know exactly where my grandpa is and I know I'll see him again. Not sure when, but someday.



Time to go...Grandpa's grave is the one in the middle of the back row.



Owen wanted to walk the whole time we were there so Daddy held his hand and they walked down the aisles of graves. It wasn't weird at all...it was actually kind of moving. Life does goes on!



There is this great flag at the center of the cemetery. If you look closely you can see Mount Rainier in the background.

0 comments: