Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Central Park Zoo!

Once Jack said he wanted a Madagascar Party I knew what the cake would look like in my head. I still wanted a visual and I finally after searching for a while came across this cake online that was my inspiration. I wish I could have made mine look that awesome, but really I don't have that much time.

The day before the party I started working on Jack's cake. I love to do a fruit filling in the middle so I stopped at Fred Meyer's to buy filling from the bakery, but they didn't have any they could sell me. The lady said I could just use regular jam and it would work just fine. I bought some yummy look red raspberry jam. I decided to go ahead and put a thin layer of frosting down on the cake and around the edges since jam is a bit runnier than filling and I didn't want it running off the sides or soaking into the bottom cake.



Time for the second layer...the nice thing about the jam is it wasn't as sticky as filling so I could actually move the top around at little bit since I didn't get it on perfectly when I tipped it out of the pan.


Next was the first layer of frosting and building the walls....this is where things got interesting! My mom had bought us some Little Debbie Rice Krispy Treats, but they were rainbow colored so I needed to cover them with frosting. I mixed black food coloring with white frosting which you would think would produce gray frosting, but for some reason it came out purple. Then the frost wasn't really sticking or spreading over the Rice Krispy Treats the way I wanted them too. I was stressing so I call my cake decorator friend Katie for advice.


After talking it through we just decided it would be easier to go and buy regular Rice Krispy Treats and not frost them. They would just look like little yellow brick walls.


After taking all the awful Rice Krispy Treats off I did the second layer of frosting and added Gloria's pool.


Then came the "yellow brick walls" and the "fencing" to make the individual animal habitat. In the above picture you can see Alex's platform that he performs on.


This is supposed to be Marty's treadmill...use your imagination! :) In the back you can see Gloria's tray with her fruit (fruit snacks) on it.


Here is Melman's tray with all his pills!


The finished product!


And yes I did wash the characters before putting them on the cake!

1 comments:

Melody said...

Very cute! Good job, Mama!