Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Remembering Our Heroes!

On Sunday we took the kids to see Peepaw's grave at Tahoma National Cemetery. We know that Peepaw is not there...his body is, but it's good to go and remember him. I do remember him at other times, but it's good to have a focused time to honor him and the man he was. It's also a wonderful way to have conversations with your kids that might not otherwise come up. The kids know that when you die God gives you a new body and your old sick body is left behind and you are healed. What a wonderful thing for our children to understand at a young age.


Hey Ga-Ga & Pa...here we come!!!



C.K. Grant 02/16/1920 - 10/05/2008


All the graves looked great with the flags and flowers. So many people were there to honor the heroes that have fought for our country.



Most of the time I don't get choked up when I think about Peepaw. I know that he is in heaven and he is healed and we will see him again, but today I got a bit choked up. I miss him and I'm sad that he's not here to love on my kids. He LOVED my boys...Jack was still so little (exactly 4 months old) when he died, but he loved those boys. I'm sad that he wasn't here to meet Ella and he'll never be able to hold her in his arms and say, "Sakes and Days!" I know he would have LOVED her so much!




Ella is such a gem...she had so much fun just wandering through all the graves. We had to stop her from messing up all the flowers. She was like a kid in a candy store.


Peepaw's grave is right on the edge of a greenbelt so the boys got to have their own adventure of turning over rocks and finding bugs.



It was nice a visit!



Then it was time to go!


We told Ella to say bye-bye and she turned around and waved....talk about choking you up! When I got to the van to put Ella in the car Owen was already buckled in and he looked out and said, "Bye Peepaw...see ya next time!"

0 comments: